(Picture courtesy of Wikipedia)
The village is currently served by one church, this being All Saints, situated along the Lowestoft Road, however, in previous times there were in fact two churches – All Saints serving Great Worlingham and St Peter’s serving Worlingham Parva.
It is believed that St Peter’s was no longer used after 1492 when the two parishes consolidated and unfortunately little is known about St Peter’s albeit during excavations for the A146 Worlingham / Beccles bypass in 1980 the foundations were found. It was a small early Saxon church with an apsidal chancel (semi circular recess) and round tower. A total of 23 skeleton remains were analysed and re-interned in 1981 at All Saints Church. A headstone exists close to the north wall of the cemetery in the new section of the church yard.
(Pictures courtesy of fisk-history.co.uk & roundtowers.org.uk)
All Saints was built during the 1300’s and extensive renovations and extensions were made during Victorian times. It would originally have had a thatched roof but is now tiled. Records of serving Rectors go back to 1371 and registers began in 1538. Although Worlingham is no longer served by its own resident Rector / Vicar regular weekly services continue via the Beccles Ministry team.
(Picture courtesy of churchofengland.org)
Early records show that a small day school existed for 10 pupils in 1818 however the first purpose built school in the village was the Worlingham National Church of England School which first opened in 1845 and was later enlarged in 1910. The school was closed and decommissioned in 1966 as a larger, purpose built primary school was built in Rectory Lane. The original school was demolished in 1980 as part of the A146 Worlingham / Beccles bypass development and would have stood where the current roundabout with Marsh Lane stands.
A Miss Janet Hadenham was a well known Headmistress of the original school for over 46 years and a residential road within Worlingham is named after her.
At the time of the move to the Rectory Lane site the headmaster was Phillip Wills and he also remained in the post for a number of years. He was also a very well respected organist and Choir Master at All Saints Church until the 1990’s.
In 1971 a brand new “Middle” school was opened in Garden Lane which accommodated over 300 children between the ages of 9 and 13. As well as housing village children it also bussed in children from outlying villages such as Ringsfield, Sotterley, Shadingfield, Brampton, North Cove and Barnby.
In 2013, following County Council educational changes, the Middle school in Garden Lane became the Primary School and the original school in Rectory Lane was permanently closed. It has subsequently been demolished to make way for a new community centre.
The site of the current Primary School in Garden Lane is believed to have been on the site of a former horse racing practice track and stabling, perhaps belonging to Worlingham Hall and may explain the names of nearby residential roads ie, The Ridings, The Bridles, Paddocks Green and Fairmile Close.
Church / Village Hall
Unfortunately Worlingham has never had a “village hall” as such but for many years villagers made use of the Church Hall in Rectory Lane. Little information exists in relation to its history but the writer estimates it was possibly built during the 1920/30 ’s. The hall was very well used by various organisations including the Women’s Institute, Parish Council, local dramatic groups, choir practices etc. The writer attended a weekly Youth Club during the 1970’s which was organised by Mr & Mrs Harvey and proved very popular. Unfortunately due to Health & Safety issues the hall was closed in 2005 and the village has unfortunately been without a designated meeting place ever since albeit the local school has been used for most events.
Building of a new community centre on the site of the original primary school in Rectory Lane is currently in the final planning stages and building work should start in 2022.
Known locally as “the Crinkle Crankle Wall”, this is a unique man made physical feature within Worlingham and is situated in Garden Lane at the junction of Paddocks Green / The Ridings and The Bridles. These brick walls feature heavily in Suffolk and were often built to protect fruit crops.
The area around Garden Lane, Paddocks Green and Pine Tree Close was previously a market garden and before that possibly the main vegetable / fruit garden for Worlingham Hall so the positioning of this wall speaks for itself.
Another lesser known Worlingham feature is a 1.6km earthwork bank known as the Worlingham Wall. It is believed to have been constructed in medieval times to act as a flood defence on marsh land to the north of the village close to the River Waveney. The bank flanks a central drainage ditch, probably on the lines of a natural creek, and became a natural physical border between Beccles and Worlingham.
(Picture courtesy of Roger Jones / geograph.org.uk)
The original village sign was funded by Worlingham Women’s Institute in the 1970’s and later replaced with a similar design in the 2000’s (pictured at the heading of this document). The sign depicts a cobbler working from inside a large hollow oak tree. This tree is rumoured to have been in the village and was over 500 years old. It measured 27 feet in circumference at a height of one foot from the ground. The village cobbler worked from this tree for a number of years. The sign also features the “Crinkle Crankle” wall.
Original Village Sign (Courtesy of Peggy Cannell / picturesofengland.com)
In more recent years the village sign has been replicated on two new village entrance signs which have been made using wood from a very mature, and possibly the oldest of its kind in the UK, Caucasian Elm in Park Drive that underwent substantial “surgery” to make safe. This tree would have lined the original entrance drive to Worlingham Hall.
Caucasian Elm in Park Drive (Courtesy of M Cannell / bbc.co.uk)
One of two new village gateway signs
(Courtesy of Wendy Summerfield)
This brief historical history of the village of Worlingham has been put together by the writer via research on the internet and his own knowledge having lived in and around the village for the past 45 years. The writer takes no responsibility for the information supplied and welcomes any corrections. The writer can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.